Turkish

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Fri Dec 1 15:34:58 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Miguel Carrasquer Vidal" <mcv at wxs.nl>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 7:53 AM

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:07:24 +0100, "Eduard Selleslagh" <edsel at glo.be>
> wrote:

>> As opposed to Bosnia-Hercegovina (Bosna-Hersek in Turkish; Hercegovina <
>> Hersek Novi)

> Isn't it rather Herceg-ov-ina (like Vojevod-ina), with <herceg> <
> German <Herzog>?

> Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
> mcv at wxs.nl

[Ed Selleslagh]

I'm not entirely sure, but you are probably right: 1) I may have confounded
matters with another related item: the city of Hercegnovi, 2) I wrote Hersek
where I should have written Herceg /xertseg/, the Slav (Serbo-Croatian, not the
Turkish) form, in 'Herceg-novi'. Whether Herceg < Ger. Herzog, I don't know.