Celtic Germanic relationship

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Sat Dec 2 12:50:15 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian M. Scott" <BMScott at stratos.net>
To: <Indo-European at xkl.com>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 7:52 AM
Subject: Re[2]: Celtic Germanic relationship

> What about Goth. <andbahts>, OHG <ampahti>, ON <amba'tt> (specialized
> to 'bondswoman'), etc., from Celt. <ambactus> 'Dienstmann' (here with
> Latin ending)? Or OHG <Walh> from the Celtic tribal name <Volcae>?
> They appear to offer evidence for PIE *k -> PGmc *h.

[Ed Selleslagh]

In Dutch we still have the word <ambacht>, which in toponyms (e.g. Veurne
Ambacht in West-Flanders) means the area of authority of an 'amman'
(<ambachtman), a kind of medieval sheriff. [ch = ach-laut].

The other meaning is 'handicraft', and a modern 'ambachtsman' is an artisan, a
craftsman.

Ed.