Reference on Numbers of Saxons

Sun Dec 3 21:57:52 UTC 2000

	The ruling class of post-Roman pre-Islamic Hispania was Visigothic.
Their attempts to maintain their own culture and keep themselves apart from
the bottom 95% or so of the population did not endear them to the vast
majority, who appear to have sat out the Islamic invasion.

>In a message dated 12/1/00 10:01:05 PM Mountain Standard Time,
>HSTAHLKE at gw.bsu.edu writes:

><< a Saudi student who is specialized in early Islamic scholarship mentioned
>that Arabic documents dealing with the 8th c. Muslim invasions of the Iberian
>Peninsula mention fighting against Goths.  >>

>-- operating from memory, I seem to recall that a number of Gothic prisoners
>of war were settled in western Anatolia around the time of Justinian, and
>formed a unit in the Byzantine armed forces for some time.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701