Reference on Numbers of Saxons

anthony.appleyard@umist.ac.uk anthony.appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Dec 4 10:53:43 UTC 2000

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:19:10 -0500, Tristan Jones
<Tristan at MAIL.SCM-RPG.COM.AU> wrote:
> Means Britian's population in that era could have dropped from around 2.5
> million people (most likely estimate) to about 1 million and possibly a
> very
> low Celtic speaking population if we want the Anglo-Saxons to be about
> 30-50% the population order to compeltely wipe out the Celtic language and
> replace it with West Germanic. ...
> I know I hate asking this sort of question, however I must ask it
> Did the Anglo-Saxon arrivals slaughter and do genocide on Celtic peoples
> of Britanna before settleing in new areas.

Likelier the cause was natural causes. As I wrote in a recent message, there
is evidence that in AD535 something, likeliest a massive volcanic eruption
in Indonesia, darkened the sky so badly across the world that AD535 and
AD536 harvests were wiped out, causing massive famine.

I have also seen speculation about a Tunguska-type asteroid or comet
fragment impact in the English Midlands about this time. I read in a
separate source that in the 19th and early 20th century: peat diggers in
Ashton Moss and White Moss northeast of Manchester found under the peat
fallen forests of big trees all lying in the same direction, some broken off
their stumps, some showing fire damage, and some Roman pottery and coins on
the old ground surface.