*gwh in Gmc.

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 5 20:49:15 UTC 2000

There seem to be so many good counter-examples, where *gwh > Germanic w,
that I confess I am surprised the alternative view exists.  Is there perhaps
a specific set of circumstances in which it is alleged that *gwh > b, or is
an idea that can be safely scrap-heaped?

In addition to snow, warm, and kidney, I find, for example:
*gwhen  Skt hanmi  Gothic winne (pain) or wunns and the probably related
English "wound" < *gwhntis

*gwhemer  "swelling"  Latin femur, OE wenn "tumour"

*gwhoksos  Greek phoksos, OHG wahs "sharp"

*gwhesl  "gall"  English weld (conjectured Gothic wizdils, based on late
Latin uisdil-)

and some others.

Why is this outcome questioned?

Peter