Don Keyshot

Lars Henrik Mathiesen thorinn at diku.dk
Thu Dec 7 19:23:46 UTC 2000

> Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:17:21 -0800
> From: Anton Sherwood <bronto at pobox.com>

> There's a song (using that word somewhat loosely) by Magazine 60 in
> which an Englishman repeatedly asks on telephone for "Mister Don
> Quichotte" /'ki SOt/, and a woman replies with growing impatience "No
> seqor, Don Quixote y Sancho Panza no estan aqum."  (There's also a sung
> refrain, "Don Quixote y Sancho Panza / hoy tambiin siguen luchando")

> Does anyone in fact say <Quichotte> (the French form) in English?

I remember being very surprised when I first saw this name written,
after hearing some of the story in Danish from my grandfather --- I'd
thought it was something like Donkesjot.

As best I remember, these are the pronunciations that my grandparents'
generation used (born just after 1900):

	   Don Quixote = /%dQNke"SQt/
	   Don Juan = /%dQNSu"AN/
	   (SAMPA for Danish --- " is primary stress, % secondary)

I'm pretty sure these were originally supposed to be some sort of
French --- /-QN/ and /-AN/ are traditional Danish approximations for
French /-o~/ and /-a~/. There may even have been an /y/ in Juan, but
I'm not sure after all these years.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <thorinn at diku.dk> (Humour NOT marked)