Lloegr

Christopher Gwinn sonno3 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 9 01:14:15 UTC 2000

Loegr (or Loegyr)  refers generally to Lowland Britain - England in
particular. The Archaic Welsh form must have been *Loic[e]r. It denizens are
called Lloegrwys (which is from a Brittono-Latin *Loicr-enses).

I am not sure of the exact etymology [I still need to see Eric Hamp,
'Lloegr: the Welsh name for England', Cambridge Medieval Celtic Studies 4
(1982) 83-85 ], but if I had to take a guess, I would suppose that the name
could be analyzed as *loi-c-er- (where the -er- might be a relic of *rigia
"kingdom"), and that Loic- probably came from an Early Brittonic *log-i-c-
(perhaps related to Irish loig and Welsh llo, "calf," which are related to
Breton lu-e "idiot," allegedly from PIE *leig- / *loig-).

-Chris Gwinn