Lloegr

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 11 01:20:42 UTC 2000

Dear Chris and IEists:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Gwinn" <sonno3 at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2000 7:14 PM

> Loegr (or Loegyr) refers generally to Lowland Britain - England in
> particular. The Archaic Welsh form must have been *Loic[e]r. It denizens
> are called Lloegrwys (which is from a Brittono-Latin *Loicr-enses).

> I am not sure of the exact etymology [I still need to see Eric Hamp,
> 'Lloegr: the Welsh name for England', Cambridge Medieval Celtic Studies 4
> (1982) 83-85 ], but if I had to take a guess, I would suppose that the
> name could be analyzed as *loi-c-er- (where the -er- might be a relic of
> *rigia "kingdom"), and that Loic- probably came from an Early Brittonic
> *log-i-c- (perhaps related to Irish loig and Welsh llo, "calf," which are
> related to Breton lu-e "idiot," allegedly from PIE *leig- / *loig-).

[PR]

More likely, IMHO, sources for the first (?) element might be the IE roots
for Gaelic

lugh, 'small, lynx, Lugh (sun-god)'

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ec at ec hecc, vindga meipi a netr allar nmo, geiri vnda~r . . . a ~eim
mei~i, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rstom renn." (Havamal 138)