*gwh in Gmc.

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 11 03:08:08 UTC 2000

Dear Stefan and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Georg" <Georg at home.ivm.de>
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2000 4:22 AM

>> The consonants in *gwhen-(6)-, 'beat', I believe to have originally been
>> early IE *gwVHVn- so that *gwh is not, as I believe Miguel would have it, a
>> velarization of *gh but rather the resolution of an accentually occasioned
>> juxtaposition of *gw + *H.

>> This particular root is, I believe, found in Coptic hine, 'row', for
>> which I would amend the current hieroglyphic transcription of Xn(j) to
>> *Xjn(j).

>> Possibly it may have a distant reflex in Arabic sha?an-un, 'disheveled
>> hair, a derivation of sha??a, 'scatter, disperse'.

[PR]
Either I inadvertently typed <?>, the glottal stop, or my 'ain (?) came out
as it. It should be 'ain.

> Coptic and Arabic are not known to be Indo-European languages,

[PR]
You jest! No one has ever suggested that Coptic and Arabic are IE languages!

> nor is there any evidence that Afro-Asiatic, the language family Coptic and
> Arabic belong to, may be related, however distantly, to Indo-European.

[PR]
In view of the existence of our sister-list, the Nostratic-List, and the
work of many researchers including Bomhard's work, this statement is purely
provocative.

Instead of a priori judgments on his (and incidentally my) work (not to
mention that of many others), why not try *showing* why Bomhard's and my
IE-AA comparisons are worthless as evidence, switching to the
Nostratic-List, of course, if you are up to it?

> It is, thus, not possible that an Indo-European root may be "found" in
> Coptic.

[PR]
So you say. And now I, and perhaps Bomhard, invite you to prove what you
say.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ec at ec hecc, vindga meipi a netr allar nmo, geiri vnda~r . . . a ~eim
mei~i, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rstom renn." (Havamal 138)