AS Conquest

Mon Dec 11 14:40:30 UTC 2000

	I have read in general works that well before the Anglo-Saxon
invasion, the Romans used Saxon troops (or other Germanics) to guard the
North Sea coast against raids by their countrymen. Did they have a big
enough presence to serve as a catalyst for the invasion? Is there any
indication that they actually formed a separate Germanic-speaking community
before the Romans left?

>Anglo-Saxons were not a small military caste, I do not know about the Gaelic
>Irish in Scotland in same period. Anglo-Saxons were a mass mirgation fo both
>males and females probably numbering at least 100,000 probably more.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701