AS Conquest

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Tue Dec 12 14:52:36 UTC 2000

> I have read in general works that well before the Anglo-Saxon
> invasion, the Romans used Saxon troops (or other Germanics) to guard the
> North Sea coast against raids by their countrymen. Did they have a big
> enough presence to serve as a catalyst for the invasion? Is there any
> indication that they actually formed a separate Germanic-speaking community
> before the Romans left?

        My impression is that the AS conquest was as much a reinforced
revolt of federates as anything else.  There is no reason to think that
Germans in Britain would not have spoken German, and though I do not
specifcally recall any direct evidence of it, I would not be surprised if
there is some.

                                                            Dr. David L. White