Iberia

Thu Dec 14 15:08:15 UTC 2000

>(There's a problem too with the /b/ in Cat. Ebre; regular sound change
>would give WCat. */ewre/; thus Catalan borrowing from some other
>Hispano-Romance variety such as Mozarabic?). One must assume that the
>proto-Romance form was distinct from that represented in Classical Latin or
>Greek texts, viz. */'ibero/ or similar [NB it could be */ípero/, which
>would give both Sp. Ebro and Cat. Ebre regularly].

	A /-b-/ < /-p-/ looks like a big problem, since my understanding is
that neither Iberian nor Celtiberian had a /p/.
	Borrowing from Mozarabic does seem to be a valid solution, though.
	Aren't there also some forms of Aragonese that also unvoiced
intervocalic stops? If so [and relevant], could this have been a wider
phenomenon in the past?
	Another solution could be that the /-b-/ was retained as a "learned
pronunciation". Would that work?

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women