"Goth"

anthony.appleyard@umist.ac.uk anthony.appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Dec 14 12:12:10 UTC 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:03:25 +0100, Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at wxs.nl>
wrote:

>, so that would be Guthones.  The Swedish <Gautai> should be
>kept separate.
>>The Goths were sometimes also referred to as the <Getae> (Greek: Getes,
>>Getae; Latin, Geta, Getae), a name used for an earlier group of people in
the
>>same area (north of the Danube.)  (The <Geats> appear as another northern
>>Germanic peoples at some point later in time.)
>The Getae were most likely a Thracian (or Daco-Thracian) people. ...

If the Got- and the Gautar were different peoples, how much do we know about
the Gautar / Geats as distinct from the Goths?

Re the Getae, a more recent example of a writer using an anachronistic name
for a people, is a tomb inscription in York Minster (a cathedral in England)
that referred to modern Yorkshire or Lincolnshire people as "Trinobantes"!