Further Thoughts On "Goth-" :: another similar name

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Dec 20 17:27:52 UTC 2000

[ Moderator's note:
  I assume that the humour is unmarked.
  --rma ]

Dear Anthony and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "anthony.appleyard at umist.ac.uk" <anthony.appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 10:15 AM

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:59:59 -0600, David L. White <dlwhite at texas.net>
> wrote:

>>  The word is sometimes connected with a word meaning 'flood' or
>> something of that sort (sometimes given as 'pour').  It occurs to me that
>> from an original /gout/ (ancestral to Germanic /gaut/), ...

> Another Germanic tribe name with a somewhat similar possible origin is
> "Angle", "English" from IE root {ang} = "narrow", because they lived around
> the "Narrow Water", i.e. the Schlei estoary.

Could this not simply be a professional nomenclature:

fishermen?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ec at ec hecc, vindga meipi a netr allar nmo, geiri vnda~r . . . a ~eim
mei~i, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rstom renn." (Havamal 138)