AS Conquest

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Wed Dec 20 22:46:19 UTC 2000

> This is interesting. Didn't both the Votadinii (Gododdin-sp?) and the
> Damnoni (same as Dyfed?) become nuclei of medieval Welsh statelets? The
> Votadini were originally in the area between Edinburgh and Northumbria,
> weren't they?

        Yes.  I don't know who orginally wrote this (below), but it is
somewhat mangled.   The groups in question were moved from places in Britain
to North Wales and Devon, not direct from Germania. The North Welsh
migration is the one I referred to earlier that might have resulted in a
counting system originally from Northern Britain becoming established in
Wales.

Dr. David L. White

>> Part of the "foederati system" entailed moving group of peoples into buffer
>> zones along Roman borders.  I believe that two groups from "Germania" called
>> "Votadini" and "Damnoni" were actually moved as such to north Wales just
>> around the time of Magus Maximus.

> Rick Mc Callister
> W-1634
> Mississippi University for Women
> Columbus MS 39701

[ Moderator's note:
  The material quoted by Rick Mc Callister on 19 December 2000 was from a