minimal pairs

Mark Odegard laura at rconnect.com
Sat Dec 23 03:10:19 UTC 2000

On 19 Dec 00, at 7:47, Brent J. Ermlick wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 10:10:19AM +0000, Eduard Selleslagh wrote:

>> Note that 'Anthony', 'author' etc. are a class apart: the English
>> spelling does not correspond to Latin spelling, which has 't': Antonius,
>> auctor...I guess the th-spelling reflects an older English spelling rule
>> for aspirated t (like in German, cf. Goethe, Luther,...).

> I believe that the "th" in Goethe and Luther (which I've also seen
> as Ludher) is an orthographic survival of the dental fricatives
> in German.

This comment will not appear until after New Years (I
saw RMA's note)

I don't think any high-German speakers do Luther or
Goethe that way. I do wonder what Low-German speakers
do, tho'.

Orthographic survival? I wonder. It's rather like doing
the 'c' in Andalucia as a soft, waggle-tongued thorn.
--
Mark Odegard
laura at rconnect.com