txakur/dzhagaru/cachorro....

Douglas G Kilday acnasvers at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 10:26:57 UTC 2000

On 25 Dec 2000, Mate Kapovif wrote:

>There was a discussion some time ago about relation of the words like Bask.
>txakur, Logudor dzhagaru, Spanish/Port. cachorro... I was just lurking but now
>I must add something to the subject because I think it could be interesting to
>those who participated in that discussion earlier.

>There is a claim that the form zagar is a Balkanic word: Bolg. zagar, Alb.
>zaga:r/za:r, Middle Greek zagaron, Modern Greek zagari/zagarss, Turkish zagar.
>All have the meaning "Jagdhund".

These particular forms are probably derived from Classical Greek. <Zagra>
and <zagrion> are attested as offensive terms (cf. "you dog!") and
<Zagraios> is an epithet of Dionysos. <Zagr-> probably results from *diagr-
etc.). The meaning 'Jagdhund' as opposed to simply 'Hund' agrees with this
analysis.

Doug Kilday