Anthony as Greek?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 16:58:02 UTC 2000

In a message dated 12/29/2000 1:39:12 AM, BMScott at stratos.net writes:
<< He adds that in the Renaissance it was arbitrarily associated with Gk.
<a'nthos> 'flower', >>

Let me apologize, but it is escaping me why "Anthony" cannot come from Gk
<anthos> or <antho:n>.   Aeschylus before 400BC already uses the term to also
denote "pride", "honor" and "height of achievement".  It was also used to
connote "brightness" or "brilliance."  Parallel the name with Gk <stephanos>,
garland, and the fact that <Stephanus> appears as a Roman name at least by
the first century BC.

Is there a clear reason why Ant[h]onius cannot be Greek?

Regards and a Happy New Year,
Steve Long