Ng

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at nb.net
Fri Dec 29 08:30:52 UTC 2000

>>> family name Ng in the mouths of English-speaking non-linguists.

It seems to me that one should approximate the native sound as best one
can, unless the named person prefers something else. We do this all the
time (to varying degrees) when we talk about Goethe or Dvorak or Khrushchev
[or Cholmondeley]. Distinction of aspirated vs. nonaspirated stop or front
vs. back "l" may be difficult for English speakers; distinction of /N/ from
/IN/, /EN/, /VN/, /@N/, /nIN/, etc. should not be, IMHO. Reproducing the
tone in casual speech in English may be awkward, however -- at least it's
too awkward for me (some do it "successfully" though).

I'm no expert but I think the name Ng corresponds to "Mandarin" Wu,
rendering several family names, of which "Crow", "Five", and one named
after a place-name (having the character sometimes called "sky-mouth") come
to mind.

Pronunciation of "ng" (in different tones) can be heard on the Web:

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Canton/sound/ng4.wav

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Canton/sound/ng5.wav

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Canton/sound/ng6.wav

-- it's just about what one would expect, and I don't see why the typical
English-speaker would have trouble recognizing it or approximating it in
casual speech (tone aside).

Of course, an American named Ng might himself abandon the original
pronunciation, out of expedience or politeness (just as some Dvoraks have
done, for example), and introduce himself as "Eng" or "Ing" or whatever he
chooses; some may change the spelling also.

Incidentally, I've read that INITIAL /N/ is tending to disappear in
Cantonese (e.g., "ngo" /No/ > /o/). Possibly there are variations in
pronunciation of syllabic "ng" within Cantonese also.

-- Doug Wilson