Apologies for peculiar mail

Rich Alderson ALDERSON at mathom.xkl.com
Wed Feb 2 02:36:18 UTC 2000

Dear Readers,

Most of you will have received at least one, and possibly two, very peculiar
postings from the Indo-European list in the last 18 hours or so.  My apologies
for the confusion.

As most of you know, I run this list by hand, using a very old e-mail system
on an antique operating system.  In an attempt to keep the mail flowing while
dealing with more than 60 new entries in the queue, I set up some batch jobs
to handle breaking the queued messages down into groups of about 20--and quite
without thinking named the batch files in a way that caused them (and their
partial logs) to be treated as inputs to the mail system, at least by the
batch jobs themselves.

I have taken steps to insure that this partiuclar error cannot recur.

Again, my apologies.

								Rich Alderson
								list owner and
								moderator