IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Tue Feb 1 06:22:47 UTC 2000

	You're talking about massive upheavals triggered by the arrival of
major imperialist powers poseessing overwhelming technical advantages. This
was not an everyday occurance. Of course there were major migrations in
South Africa and the Americas after Europeans arrived --but because of
extraordinary events.

>At 04:25 AM 1/25/00 -0500, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

>>Myself, I'd say that since population movements of various sorts (conquests,
>>folk-migrations, refugees, colonizations, etc.) are common as dirt in the
>>historical record as far back as we can see, and since they're also common in
>>preliterate societies whenever these come under the observation of literate
>>observers (18th and 19th-century Africa is full of them, for instance) then
>>we have to assume that this was the case in prehistory.

>Not to mention North America.  It is unpopular to say so, but there are
>clear records of major Indian migrations *after* the arrival of Europeans
>in the Americas.  (For instance when Lois and Clark went through the area,
>the Dakota were not yet living in the Dakotas!)

>May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women