German ge- ptcpl cognates?

Alex Nikolaev pie at AN3039.spb.edu
Wed Feb 2 15:58:26 UTC 2000

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal wrote

> Sean Crist <kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

>> To answer a few of the other points you bring up:

>> -You suggest that Gmc /g/ could be the reflex of a laryngeal in ge-.  In
>> cases where we're lucky enough to have evidence from the other branches
>> for a word-initial laryngeal, Germanic uniformly has zero (minus a very
>> technical point regarding the development of the Gmc strong verb classes
>> which isn't relevant here).  If a laryngeal developed into Gmc */g/ in
>> this case, it would be the only such case we have, and it would be
>> inconsistent with all of the other Gmc words descending from a PIE word
>> with an initial laryngeal.

> There are a few cases where a non-word-initial laryngeal seems to
> appear in Germanic as a velar stop (e.g. quick < *gwiH3wos), but
> the result is always /k/, not /g/.

	There is a possibility, that the velar reflex of the laryngeal
	in this word may owe its existence to the
	assimilation with the initial labiovelar (note, that it's
	most likely for H3 to have had a labial appendix), thus
	IE *gwiH3-wo-s > Germanic kwikwaz. Then it's not
	directly PIE -H- > Germanic -k-.

	One could recall the Sapir-Martinet's "contiguous H's"
	(of the type costa/osteon, halina/gloios) to tie together
	lat. c-, p.-germ. g- and greek e-, but i know of no cases,
	where the *first* H were involved in this kind of "hardening".

		Best wishes,
			Alex