Horses in War

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Thu Feb 3 01:47:32 UTC 2000

Steve Long wrote:

> the chariot's other best function appears to be mounted infantry - as it
> appears in Homer - so that it acted as transport like APCs but not in combat

I thought we had had this part of the discussion already.

By Homer's time, chariots had been out of use in Greek warfare for centuries;
it is clear that, other than traditional vocabulary, he has no idea how they
really worked, and describes their use as if they were cavalry horses, doing
things no chariot every did (leaping ditches, forsooth!).

On chariots, Homer is colorful but completely unreliable.

								Rich Alderson