"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Feb 4 03:14:35 UTC 2000

roslyn frank <roz-frank at uiowa.edu> wrote:

>A couple of questions.
>1) what then is the standard reconstruction proposed for Skt. pu:r-, Greek
><polis> and Baltic <pilis>? And the prototype meaning assigned to it?

*pl.His "citadel" (Pokorny: *pel- "Burg")

[Did I say pu:r-?  I did.  Should be pur- (nom.sg. pu:r)]

>2) is this set considered a good candidate for admission to the (P)IE
>lexicon? Stated differently, does attestation in Sanskrit, Greek and Baltic
>languages suffice for a data set to be considered part of the (P)IE lexicon?

Well, yes: it's in Pokorny.  At the very least it suffices for
being considered a solid East-PIE etymon.  On the downside, it's
not attested in the Western languages (Italic, Celtic, Germanic)
or in Anatolian; it's unclear whether Pokorny is correct in his
unmotivated assignment of the word to the undisputable PIE root
*pelh1- "full, to fill"; the formation with zero grade in the
root *plH- and in the suffix *-is can hardly be ancient.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl