Basque *<bil> 'round'

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Feb 3 21:50:20 UTC 2000

Dear Ed and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduard Selleslagh" <edsel at glo.be>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 12:47 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 5:04 PM

> Ed Selleslagh writes:
> [on my puzzlement over a suggested PIE source]

<snip>

>> So, it is not unreasonable to assume (no hard evidence!!) that *kwelo gave
>> rise to a Basque re-interpretation *bel-, via some intermediate (most likely
>> IE) stage *(h)wel-.

[LT]
> "Not unreasonable"?

> Well, first the vocalism is wrong.  Basque does indeed have another ancient
> stem of the form *<bel>, but this means 'dark', not 'round'.

[PR]
For which a look at IE *pel- might be of interest.

<snip>

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)