IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Robert Orr colkitto at sprint.ca
Sun Feb 6 07:04:26 UTC 2000

Actually, the problems with "wheel" are much greater than we might suspect.
In "Guns, Germs, and Steel", which every linguist should read, Jared Diamond
points out that the wheel was invented all over the world, it was only in
Eurasia that it really became part of the lifestyle (availability of large
domesticable animals which could pull loads), as opposed to a curio or a
toy.

Therefore linguistically  the concept might go back much further than is
commonly believed, and it should be reconsidered from the point of view of
dating Indo-European.

On a lighter note, what are we to do with Russian glagol ("verb") <
*gol-gol?  Sometimes wheels can be used as pedagogical devices for teaching
verbs, etc. - any connection?

Robert Orr