GREEK PREHISTORY AND IE (EVIDENCE?)

Carol F. Justus cjustus at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 8 17:54:11 UTC 2000

>As far as the consensus goes - where do you find evidence of this consensus?
>(I mean apart from Mallory.)  Is there a specific poll that was taken or is
>it something that's reflected in a count of recent papers on the subject?
>  Steve Long

On the Greek-Armenian-Indo-Iranian branch, the major evidence is at least
as early as Antoine Meillet (The IE Dialects and an update to the
Introduction) and as late as Gamkrelidze and Ivanov's IE and IEeans (trsl.
1995).

I don't recall major arguments refuting Meillet and G & I, while they give
major linguistic arguments in favor of this branch (but in the Ukraine?).
The problem that I see is that, while people seem to accept this view, they
somehow don't always internalize the implications. As a result, someone who
purports to agree with Meillet will still reconstruct PIE on the basis of
shared features between Greek, Sanskrit, and Avestan that Latin, Anatolian,
and Germanic don't share.

So the consensus may be more by default than by reasoned application. It
would be nice if people would take a position on the basis of the
particular arguments then work with the implications.

Carol Justus