"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Thu Feb 10 15:44:49 UTC 2000

At 11:15 PM 2/4/00 -0600, roslyn frank wrote:
>Could you elaborate a bit more in order to explain why the phonologicial
>shape of the Gk. and Baltic items take precedence over that of the Skt.
>pu:r-?

>Are there a general set of rules that show the regular correspondence of
>Sk. words in <pu:r> to Greek <poli(s)> and Baltic <pilis>, i.e., that there
>are other examples of the same transformations?

Skt u:r regularly corresponds to a PIE vocalic resonant followed by a
laryngeal.  Skt mixes PIE 'l' and 'r', so one has to go elsewhere to find
which is original.  Baltic <pilis> also regularly derives from a vocalic
resonant.  Between these two we reconstruct PIE *plh-  (where the 'l' is
the "vowel").

The Greek shows o-grade instead of zero-grade, leading to *p(o)lh.

Based only on these examples, I see no trace of e-grade, but that may be
due to the incompleteness of the list.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com