the Wheel and Dating PIE

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Feb 9 07:34:28 UTC 2000

Dear Joat and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 7:52 AM

> >proto-language at email.msn.com writes:

> <that Egyptian ' [hand on outstretched arm] corresponds to IE *dh/th. On that
> basis, I believe that a comparison of Egyptian r', 'sun' (ideographically
> written: a circle with >*central dot* [=axle?]) and IE *rot(h)o-, 'wheel', is
> likely. >>

[JS wrote]

> -- this would be interesting, if it weren't for the fact that the Egyptians
> didn't use wheeled vehicles (or the horse) until very late -- 2nd millenium
> BCE.  And, of course, there's no evidence at all of a genetic relationship
> between Egyptian (or Afroasiatic) and PIE.

Of course, the mere existence of our sister-list (Nostratic) suggests that
some people at some time have thought that there was some evidence of such a
relationship.

The minimal components of Nostratic are PIE and AA.

In addition to the many books which have been written to describe such a
relationship, there may be some small interest in viewing the material at

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/comparison.AFRASIAN.3.htm

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)