Augment i and DhAtupAThas

Emiliano Bianchi emibianchi at infinito.it
Wed Feb 9 16:40:29 UTC 2000

Dear Sirs,

I'm working on a research about the union-vowel (or augment) "i" of the
Sanskrit verb. For that reason I need to know which roots of the words are,
according to the Indian grammarians, seT, aniT or veT.

I don't want to refer to the lists reported on the most important Western
grammars: I better wish to have first-hand datas from hindU grammarians, mainly
from DhAtupAThas of the different grammar schools.

As for PAN, I don't have any problem because the difference is clearly put in
evidence by a particular anubandha.

I wonder if also the other Dh.P's (the non-PANinlya-s ones, mainly), have this
information. Pasule's synopsis (1955) lacks that data, reported in Hill &
Harrison (1991) instead, in which I also read that Jainendra-Dh.P. contains
this information (Devanandin himself created a perfect anubandha).

What about the other Dh.P.'s? I would be grateful if you could also suggest me
some Western works on that subject.

Thank you in advance

Emiliano Bianchi,
Studente dell'Universita' degli Studi di Milano