Frisian

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Thu Feb 10 10:20:50 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "petegray" <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 11:52 AM

>>, which extends the scope of the
>> tribe, if not the language, into modern Germany.

> Pardon me, but surely Frisian (the language) _does_ extend into modern
> Germany - it lies mostly along the region from Denmark - Germany -
> Netherlands.  Specifically, on the mainland East Frisian is found in
> Oldenburg (east of Kiel), North Frisian overlaps the Denmark-Germany border,
> and West Frisian is found entirely within Germany, (although also on the
> islands along that remarkable coast, some of which are claimed by the
> Netherlands).

> Peter

[Ed]

Aren't you overlooking mainland Friesland in the Netherlands? Apart from that,
you're absolutely right of course.

What do you mean by 'claimed by the Netherlands'?  As far as I know, there are
no longer (since 1958) any territorial disputes among the countries of the
European Union, especially among the 6 founding members (BeNeLux, Germany,
France and Italy).

Ed. Selleslagh