The degree of differentiation

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 05:44:05 UTC 2000

In a message dated 2/4/00 8:15:15 AM, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

<<This just isn't possible, according to everything we know about linguistics
and have observed of the process of linguistic change.  The degree of
differentiation observable in the early recorded IE languages is just
incompatible with a common origin in the early neolithic; so is the nature of
the PIE vocabulary.>>

I'm still waiting for you to tell us how you measure this critical and all
important "degree of differentiation," that "we" are using with such thorough
confidence.  Ah, if only carbon 14 and nitrogen isotopes could yield such
precision.

Do you count the number of vowel changes in the word for fire and multiply
them by 500 years or something like that?  Or is a laser involved?