Basque *<bil> 'round'

Steven A. Gustafson stevegus at aye.net
Thu Feb 10 14:27:30 UTC 2000

Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen wrote:

> Maybe the geographical position of the donor language can be narrowed
> down, for a word of the same shape found its way into Northern Europe in
> the specialized meaning of 'car' (cf. "wheels"). I'm thinking of course of
> Dan.-Norw.-Swed. bil 'car', which must be very old given the assimilation
> of the nominative marker in Icelandic bi:ll (from *bi:l-R pointing to
> PGmc. *bi:l-az).

My understanding has ever been, that -bil- was short for -automobil-,
which may be an ancient Germanic root, but it would seem to present
certain phonological problems.  My guess would be that the Icelandic has
been assimilated to fit into a pre-existing declension.

--
Steven A. Gustafson, attorney at law
Fox & Cotner:  PHONE (812) 945 9600   FAX (812) 945 9615

Post hominem vermis, post vermem foetor et horror.
     Sic in non hominem vertitur omnis homo.
Unde superbit homo, cujus conceptio culpa,
     Nasci poena, labor vita, necesse mori?
			--- St. Bernard, Meditationes Piisimae