"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 15 20:18:11 UTC 2000

> Compare the number of Ce-/Co-roots (e.g. in Pokorny) with the
> number of Ci-/Cu-roots.  I guesstimate the difference is a factor
> 10 or so.

(a) Bird offers a summary of Pokorny's roots, identifying the core elements,
and ignoring the variety of extensions.   He ends up with 2050 such roots.
Of these exactly 775 have neither e nor e: anywhere.   The number of CeC
roots (i.e. with no resonant) is 548.

(b) How are you treating roots which show CeRC / CRC ablaut?

Peter