the Wheel and Dating PIE

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 05:31:39 UTC 2000

<<Stanley Friesen wrote:
Umm, circa 4000 BC is my current best guess for the time of unity.  (I
currently suspect the Sredny Stog culture of being the basic PIE culture).
The horse as food doesn't fit with its place in PIE.>>

In a message dated 2/13/00 11:24:00 PM, edsel at glo.be replied:

<<They were sacrificed though: see e.g. G. Dumézil (La religion romaine
archaïque) : Equus October in Rome, As'vamedha in India. (note also Brahman
<> Flamen). Usually (I don't know in this case) at least parts of sacrificed
animals were eaten.>>

Going a little bit further, the primary remains of horses at Sredny Stog I
believe are those used as food.  This is true I'm pretty sure throughout "the
Steppes cultures" that originated in the Ukraine about 4000BC and went east.
I will try to look this up when I get back to my books.

Regards,
Steve Long