The law

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 11:37:49 UTC 2000

Did the speakers of common IE have any notion of "the law" as an institution?
What was the IE word for "law", either as "the rules to be obeyed" (Latin
{lex}), or as "the process of justice" (Latin {jus})? Each IE language that I
know of seems to have a different word. My knowledge here is limited and I
accept any correction. Doubled vowel = long. Greek w = digamma.

- Anglo-Saxon {ae(w)}, compare Greek {ewaoo} = "I allow".
- Old Norse {log} < {lagu}, c.f. {l-g-} = "lay, lie": < "that which is laid
  down"?
- Latin {leg-}; the root also occurs as "choose" and "read".
- Latin {jus} < *{jous-} : what cognates are there for that word?
- Greek {dikee}: same root in Greek {deiknuumi} = "I indicate", Latin {dico} =
  "I say".
- Greek {nomos}: same root in Greek = "I apportion".
- Russian {zakon}.