IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 20:37:06 UTC 2000

>Georg at home.ivm.de writes:

>"wolf" = "outlaw", I'd like an explanation>>

-- well, PIE for 'wolf' is *wlkwos.  It's been suggested that this is a
normalization of an adjective, *ulkwos 'dangerous'; ie., Hittite walkuwa
'dangerous', and Sanskrit 'avrka', 'not wild'.

In Anatolian, *wlkwos gives 'lion', which also suggests that the meaning of
'wolf' is a semantic narrowing of an original 'the dangerous one'.

I should have been more precise; perils of working from memory.