IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Ante Aikio anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 23 07:53:39 UTC 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, petegray wrote:

(snip)
>  I mean that creolisation / language mixing or whatever you call it provides
> us with an example of a language which goes back to two ancestors, not one.

A creole does not "go back" to any ancestor at all in the same sense that
a non-creole does, because there is no structural continuity between a
creole and its lexical source languages (= "ancestors").

The relationship between a creole and its "ancestors" is different from
the realtionship between a non-creole and its single genetic ancestor
("relationship" being used here in its normal sense and not as a technical
term of historical linguistics; in linguistic terms, a creole has no
relationships).

 - Ante Aikio