*hwergh-, *hwerg- or *hwerk-?

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 20:29:03 UTC 2000

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>I mean, IF the word is only found in Hittite and Tocharian, why not swing the
>conclusion around to its simpliest form and simply take it as evidence of
>contact between Tocharian and Hittite?

-- because at their earliest historic attestation, Tocharian and Hittite are
4000 miles apart; because there's no evidence of close contact between the
two (as opposed to common survivals from PIE).

Because the words mentioned are common derivatives from an ancestral _root_,
and hence it's a cognate, not a loanword.

And so on and so forth.