SV: the Wheel and Dating PIE

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 03:37:09 UTC 2000

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>This seems to me to be an interesting observation. Have you got any
>bibliographic references on lactose tolerance?

-- Cavalli-Sforza, "The History and Geography of Human Genes" and "The Great
Human Diasporas".

>Number one, linguistically, do we find the IE languages discriminating cow's
>milk from mother's milk

-- unlikely to be the latter, since the terms actually usually derive from a
verbal form, "to milk"; eg., *melk

Also *dhedhnos, 'sour milk, cheese'; *pipiusi, giving Lithuanian papijusi,
'cow rich in milk'; *tenki, 'buttermilk'; *nguen, 'butter'; *turo, 'curds,
curdled milk', etc.

>Number two, do all the milk of all cattle or even of wild cattle produce the
>intolerance syndrome?

-- if drunk unprocessed.

>what precisely is "the PIE vocabulary for 'to milk' (cows), curds, whey,
>'cow rich in milk', butter" and how in the world can it be "attested" much
>less "well-attested?"

-- see above.  By the usual methods.