the Wheel and Dating PIE

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Tue Feb 22 19:33:38 UTC 2000

Dear John and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. John E. McLaughlin" <mclasutt at brigham.net>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 1:59 PM

>> The minimal components of Nostratic are PIE and AA.

> Of course there is the competing claim of Greenberg, Ruhlen, and Bengtsen
> that AA does not belong in any group with PIE, but combines with Uralic and
> Altaic with IE in "Eurasiatic".

It is certainly good practice to be aware of this modification of the
original theory.

My major reason for proposing and maintaining the earliest version of the
theory is the remarkable coincidences of phonological developments between
Semitic and Germanic, which I attempt to illustrate at

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/comparison.AFRASIAN.3_germanic.htm

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)