Dating the final IE unity

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Wed Feb 23 07:25:00 UTC 2000

We should no longer discuss the aboriginal langs on this IE list.
I only mentioned Pama-Nyungan as an example that languages under small
outside pressure remain relatively conservative over long times.

Don't mix that up with the percentages of co-occurrences, please.
"Closely related" in a genealogical sense means only that they stem from
the same ancestor language. That must not necessarily have been
"recently".
(I am not going into any glottochronology discussion).

And the 50,000-year figure is the one presented by archeologists, as far
as I know, these people were HSS and not Neanderthal.

Regards
Hans J. Holm
D-30629 Hannover