IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Wed Feb 23 08:30:00 UTC 2000

RW>has been dropped in the last 10 years and replaced with something
RW>like 'related languages are those that have some features in common or
RW>are somehow connected', or 'there is no such thing as genetically
RW>related languages'.

French and Rumanian have Latin as one common ancestor language.

Only in this sense they are said to be genealogically related and named
Romance languages.

Anttila shows that not in all cases it is clear which language should be
called the "mother language" insofar as we prefer lexical versus
grammatical & morphological features as criterion.
Take Albanian with a rest of 10% (!) of original lexemes (cf. Anttila
89:172), but nobody hesitates to name it an /IE language/.

Regards
Hans J. Holm
D-30629 Hannover