IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Feb 24 07:54:29 UTC 2000

Dear Joat and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 8:37 PM

>> Georg at home.ivm.de writes:

>> "wolf" = "outlaw", I'd like an explanation>>

<JS>
> -- well, PIE for 'wolf' is *wlkwos.  It's been suggested that this is a
> normalization of an adjective, *ulkwos 'dangerous'; ie., Hittite walkuwa
> 'dangerous', and Sanskrit 'avrka', 'not wild'.

> In Anatolian, *wlkwos gives 'lion', which also suggests that the meaning of
> 'wolf' is a semantic narrowing of an original 'the dangerous one'.

> I should have been more precise; perils of working from memory.

<PR>
The Egyptian has wnS, 'jackal', which, I believe, is likely to be a cognate.

Rather than 'dangerous', I have speculated that the the term can be analyzed
as a combination of 4. *wel-, 'wool' ('sheep'), and 1. *kwei-, 'watch'.

'Dangerous', an adjective, is more likely to be derived from 'wolf'
('wolflike') than deriving a noun ('dangerous one') from an early adjective.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)