Augment (was Re: German ge- ptcpl cognates?)

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 24 11:38:30 UTC 2000

Vidyanath said:
> I don't unerstand this. Augmented forms are accented on the augment in
> RV. In case of unaugmented forms, the accent is generally on the root in
> the s/is aorist, and shifts between the root and ending in the root
> aorist.

A new pattern developed in Greek which limits how far back the accent can
fall.     The accent must fall in one of the last three syllables, and may
have to be on the second to last, (or even the last after contraction),
depending on word shape.    The means the augment cannot always be accented.
eg 'ephe:na (1 sg aor act = I appeared)  but ef'e:namen (1 pl = we
appeared), 'elusa, but el'usamen etc.

Peter