the Wheel and Dating PIE

Vidhyanath Rao rao.3 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 24 15:23:25 UTC 2000

<X99Lynx at aol.com> wrote:
> Number one point five, does goat's milk or mare's milk
> produce curds, whey, butter?

They make cheese from goat's milk, so there must something like curds or
whey.

> Number three, does lactose intolerance apply to cheeses,
> butters and other by-products of cattle dairy farming?

It is said to apply to cheese. It does not apply to yoghurt. I doubt it
applies to butter, as butter is mostly fat. Anyway, people don't enough
butter in one sitting to make much difference.

BTW, ``butter'' and ghee used in (South) India is generally made from
>fermented< milk (ie, it is fat separated from yoghurt, not fresh milk).
This may make a difference.

Also, there was some research I read about several years ago about
practical implications of lactose intolerance. Apparently, people who
consume milk from infancy on without break can tolerate milk even if
they are, strictly speaking, lactose intolerant (defined as capable of
consuming x gm of lactose on an empty stomach in one go. This amount, as
I remember, comes to one pint of milk on an empty stomach which I don't
think I can stand, but I drink two cups of milk a day (with oatmeal,
cold cereal or in South Indian style coffee) plus yoghurt). Even if
there is a break, if one persists for several months, one can get used
to it. Secondly, lactose intolerance need not stop anyone from consuming
1-2 cups of milk a day, especially if accompanied by solid food. [In
Tamil Nadu (South India), milk is generally consumed either as
yoghurt/buttermile or in coffee (60-75% milk)or ``khiir/paayasam'' and
often with some other food.]