IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

Stefan Georg Georg at home.ivm.de
Fri Feb 25 16:48:09 UTC 2000

>AH>The reconstruction for (Pre-)Proto-Slavic *inmen is rather zero grade
>AH>of *H1neH3mn, i.e. *H1nH3men-.

>Some more "loans" (???)

>to the north:
>- yukagir nim/niu

/niu/; /nime/ is "house"

>- tshuk   ninn

I know /Tshuk/ only as one of the subdialects of Thakali/Nepal; since this
language is to be sought "in the north", you probably mean /Chukchi/, where
"name" is indeed /nynny/

>- jap     namu

?? This means "amen" in Japanese

>- ainu    namup

There is no such word in any lexical source of Ainu accessible to me (and I
have more than three). Source ?

>to the south (with s-mobile)
>- bask    izen

So Basque is Indoeuropean, I see (try to inflect it, maybe it shows -r/-n
heteroclisis as well).

>far east:
>- indones. namma

/nama/, an obvious Sanskrit loan; formal Indonesian swarms with them and
this is one of them.

>I do not know or claim these to be cognates. But it might be.

I claim these not to be cognates. No, it might not be.

On the other hand, if containing - somewhere in the word - an /n/ (oops,
obviously a nasal will do) is sufficient enough to suspect cognacy, well,
then we could add quite an array of languages, as e.g.
Tibetan /ming/, Swahili /jina/ (looks like Basque, so perhaps with
j-mobile), Mongolian /ner-e/ (hey, here's the heteroclitic; I knew it had
to be somewhere !), Khmer /chmua/ (remember the semitic forms !),  aso.
Voilà, l'unità d'origine dell'linguaggio, how could I ever be so skeptical,
silly me.

St.G.

PS: welcome to the beautiful land of Ruhlenistan

Dr. Stefan Georg
Heerstraße 7
D-53111 Bonn
FRG