*hwergh-, *hwerg- or *hwerk-?

jose.perez3 inakistand at yucom.be
Sat Feb 26 01:42:20 UTC 2000

> Yes. Lexicon der Indogermanischen Verbum lists h_2werg, `sich umdrehen,
> sich wenden' (quoting Latin uergere as the evidence for intransitive
> meaning, and Hittite for h_2 so that Greek e as due to assimilation),
> with finite verb forms in Sans (though the meaning changes to `turn away
> from' => avoid for the most part in Classical Sans), Greek and Latin,
> and a participle in Toch A.

    Hello IEists,

    I've just started reading the list and was wondering wether any of you
might help me with the following:

    Could you, please, give me the complete reference of the Lexicon der
Indogermanischen Verbum?

    Does anybody know whether it could be purchased via internet?

    I'm also after other "classics" such as Rick's Laut und Formenlehre des
Griechisches and Meiser's Laut und Formenlehre des Lateins... can they be
bought in the net?

    Can somebody give me the reference of the Pokorny's CD version of his roots
dictionary?

    Is there any more up-dated IE roots dictionary (I remember Beeke's
mentioning that the Dutch were working on a "new Pokorny". Has it come out
yet?)

    Could anybody recommed a German dictionary organized by IE roots?
(something on the lines of Clairborne's The Roots of English or, still better,
of Robert's and Pastor's Diccionario etimológico indoeuropeo de la lengua
española). I'm sure that the Germans must have brought out some good stuff.

And since I've mentioned German...
   Is there such a dictionary for French?
   Duch?
   Greek? (I'm afraid I'm still using Andrioti's etymological dictionary for
Modern Greek, which unfortunately doesn't usually take you far if you don't use
an Old Greek etymological dictionary to go with it. Would Chantraine's
Dictionnaire étymologique still be your best recommendation?)
   Russian?

    Final request: Ernout and Meillet's Dictionnaire étymologique de la
langue latine has been out of print for ages and my photocopies (yups!) were
never much good to start with. What shall I replace them with?

    Thanks a lot for your assistance and keep the good work,

                Joe