? Both ts > c^ and c^ > ts ?

ECOLING at aol.com ECOLING at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 05:16:04 UTC 2000

I gather from responses that both of these occur,
and that folks do not believe there is a preference
for one vs. the other?  Or if a preference,
it is the opposite of what I had suggested?

(In any case, I think I cannot make more sense out of the
"satem" area as a dialect net, whichever one were to choose.)

***

On the following
(please reply privately if you wish;
I do not think the following topic is appropriate for the general list).

>the prognathizing that produces /ts, dz/; it has its
>origins in the belligerent facial posture as seen today in the generally
>hostile tribal environment of the Afghan-Nuristani ethnic divide.

I do not remember often hearing suggestions that sound changes
were driven by social interaction norms (except some matters
of men's vs. women's speech).

One other case I do remember concerned the fact that
Japanese /u/ is normally not strongly rounded --
I have heard or read the suggestion that this is because
facial expressions are minimized by social convention in Japan.

Do other correspondents have cases they believe strongly in?
(Again, please reply privately to me only;
anyone wanting a summary of responses I may receive to
this last question, I'll be happy to send a compilation of them
if you ask me privately.)

Lloyd