Correction

Stefan Georg Georg at home.ivm.de
Sat Feb 26 09:37:01 UTC 2000

I stated earlier:

>- jap     namu

?? This means "amen" in Japanese

This of course reveals that I don't exactly *know* Japanese.
The rendering "amen" is of course highly, so to speak, acculturated (though
Japanese Christians use it in this sense, so I'm told). A better
translation could be "reverence, bowing", and it is, surprise, a Sanskrit
loan, from the well-known Buddhist formula "namo Buddha:ya, namo dharma:ya,
namo saMgha:ya" (reverence to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Congregation".

The word HH probably had in mind is  /namae/; but here /na/ means "name",
and the rest of the compound - for a compound it is - is /mae/ "front".
Though it doesn't mean exactly "first name" or sthlth. according to my
sources and the informants I was able to interview yesterday, it seems
likely that its semantic history involves something along these lines.
Anyway, the resemblance to IE words is entirely fortuitous.

St.G.

Dr. Stefan Georg
Heerstraße 7
D-53111 Bonn